

Having a baby in the NICU is hard because you don't really feel like a parent since other people are taking care of your child in ways you simply can't. But today I really got to feel like Finley's mother and each experience was absolutely beautiful! I'm even tearing up as I'm writing this.
First off, my mom and I went up to visit Miss Finley, and when we got to her isolette, I could hear her soft little whimpers. Mom and I both stuck our hands in with her and began stroking her her back, holding her hand and softly cooing and after a minute Finley quieted down and fell back asleep. It meant so much to know that we could comfort her!
Later Andrew and I headed up to see her and her nurse gave us the best news - we are allowed to start holding her everyday! We opted for 'kangaroo care', which is where the baby is placed on your naked chest so that she can benefit and bond from the direct skin-on-skin contact. I think (or at least I like to think) that Finley recognized the sounds of my heart, breathing and voice because as soon as she was placed on my chest, she stretched out, felt my skin with her little hands and then fell into a deep sleep. It was amazing to get to cuddle with her and love on her! Andrew and I can't wait to do it again tomorrow! One of the pictures at the top of this entry is of Andrew holding her against his chest and she's holding my finger in her little fist. Sweet girl!
And last but not least, I got to change her diaper for the first time! Her diapers are tiny (as you can see from the picture above!) and I got lucky that Finley just gave me a non-poop diaper. Andrew has already changed Finley's diaper twice and each time he's gotten a poop diaper. Tee hee!





Hey Erin,
ReplyDeleteBaby Finley is precious! Just want you to know that I'm thinking about you and praying for you guys. I know how hard it is to have a baby in the NICU. Hang in there! Love, Amanda Rogers