Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Latest at 30 wk 5 days

So here's the lastest update. We went to see Dr. Darby, our perinatologist, yesterday morning and everything looked the same as last week, about which we felt pleased. I got home from the appointment and Andrew went on to work and about an hour later I got a phone call from my OB. (Love him BTW - I mean, how many actual doctors personally call their patients?!) Anywhoo. He wanted me to see a new perinatologist that afternoon because of a few reasons. Number one being that Dr. Darby doesn't have privileges at the hospital where I'll be delivering, and number two, to verify Dr. Darby's findings regarding the absence in diastolic flow (not diabolical flow, Lora!).

It was at about this point in the conversation that I realized that the doctors were talking about putting me in the hospital for the duration of the pregnancy and that's why I needed a perinatologist who had privileges at St. David's. So Andrew and I made our way to the second doctor's appointment of the day and met with Dr. Elliott and his staff, whom we all really liked a lot. The news they gave us was actually very reassuring. He noted a few episodes of absence in the diastolic flow from the placenta to the umbilical cord but also found other times where there wasn't any absence in the blood flow, which means the problem may not be as severe as we thought and could buy Finley more time in utero! The new plan is that we're going to be seen by Dr. Elliott every Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings for biophysical profiles and non-stress tests in order to closely monitor Finley's well-being - so no hospital for the time being! For now, the waiting game continues but we're excited about each extra day she gets to stay in my belly!

And may I say how thankful I am that I have not been working during this pregnancy. There is no way I could have emotionally and physically dealt with all the wild ups and downs and held down a job. And now with my four doctor's appointments each week, three hours of birthing class and 1.5 hours of daily kick counts, it seems like pregnancy is my full-time job!

1 comment:

  1. I was actually wondering if you were working. What a blessing that you're not! I'm so glad Finley is sitting tight for now, and I'll pray that she continues to do so as long as possible. How are you guys doing? Are you able to relax and everything, or are you waiting on pins and needles? I had to be induced because of my blood pressure, and so I knew the day Hannah would arrive. I just remember those last few days seeming to FLY by and being so anxious. I'll pray for rest for you guys. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete