
It's totally normal that after a baby is born, they lose weight for a few days and then start to gain weight. Finley started at just over 2 lbs, so I'd been really hoping she wouldn't lose much weight since she didn't have any to spare. Thankfully, she only lost an ounce and as of this evening she's gained an additional two ounces. Currently she is tipping the scales at a whopping 2 lbs 4 oz! The doctors have slowly been increasing her feeds from 2 cc every three hours up to 5 cc every three hours. We're praying that she tolerates it well (i.e. is able to digest it all without having any residual) so that her feeds can continue increasing and she can keep gaining weight. So far, so good!
Her breathing and lung development is great thus far too. She has little episodes of A's & B's (which stands for apneas and brady's - during which she forgets to breath and if they last long enough they lower her heart rate) but that's completely normal in a baby of Finley's size and gestational age. They should go away completely as her lungs continue to grow and develop. Since birth, she's been on CPAP to help her breath but they should be removing that soon and she'll go to using a nasal canula. It will be so much nicer for her to not have to wear a mask all the time! When I spoke to her doctor today, he said that Finley could not be doing any better than she already is!
Andrew and I have been so blessed to have such wonderful family and friends surrounding us during this time. A big thank you to everyone who has been praying (and hopefully will continue to do so!) for our family - we really appreciate it much more than I can adequately express via this blog! Also, we are so grateful for our friends who have offered to provide us with dinners, which enables us to spend more time with Finley instead cooking and grocery shopping. It is such a big help! Anyway, I'm heading to bed now because I am tuckered out. It's been a busy five days but I wouldn't trade them for the world! I can't believe a week ago I was pregnant and today I have an awesome five day old daughter!





This is just incredible news. I cannot even believe how well sweet Finley is doing. What a little miracle baby!
ReplyDeleteWe had meals provided for us for about 6 weeks after Hannah came home, and it was the greatest lifesaver. If there is ANYTHING I can do from Dallas, please feel free to ask! Also, I would love to make your little miss something special. When you get a chance, can you e-mail an address for me to send it to? My e-mail address is aliciadockins at yahoo dot com.
Still praying!