Thursday, May 31, 2012

Finley Lately

Here are a few more stories I wanted to document so I didn't forget them:

- One of Andrew's fishing buddies is a guy named Cody.  Cody is a really nice, cute guy and it's so obvious that Finley has a crush on him.  When Cody is around, all she wants to do is play with him and when he's not around, she talks about him.  One evening Cody and his fiancee Nicole came over for dinner, but they arrived separately since they were coming from work.  Cody got here first and had plenty of time to play with Fin.  At one point, Andrew, Cody and Finley were outside looking at fishing gear and Andrew came inside.  Cody tried to follow him into the house, but Finley jumped in front of him and told him "No, Cody you stay outside" and then shut the door.  By the time Nicole arrived, Cody and Finley were sitting at her little table coloring.  As we explained to Finley who Nicole was, Fin got this funny look on her face and her lips started twitching.  Then she grabbed her paper she'd been coloring and wrapped it around her face and didn't come out for about a minute.  Eventually Fin warmed up to her, but she absolutely refused to call Nicole by name, instead calling her "People," as in "People will go get my ball."  It was both hilarious and alarming behavior!  Luckily Nicole was a great sport about it.

-  Going along with the above story...In the bathtub one night, Finley pointed to her nipples and called them moles.  I corrected her and told her that everybody has nipples - Mommy does, Daddy does and even our dog Rusty does.  She paused for a second and then exclaimed, "Cody has nipples!"

- I think when Fin grows up she's either going to be a cardiologist or a waitress.  She loves to use her play stethoscope to "listen to your heart" and then she asks me to "listen to my (her) heart".  We go back and forth listening to each other's hearts...though sometimes she listens on my forehead, neck or leg too.  Her other favorite game to play is restaurant.  She grabs a little notebook or piece of paper and a crayon and then approaches whoever is around and asks either "someping to eat?" or just a simple "order?"  She's a rather bossy waitress though - if she doesn't like your order, she'll say, "No, you eat ____."  Nine times out of ten, she'll hand me my pretend plate of food and offer me this warning: "Be careful, Mama.  It's really hot."  When she doesn't warn me about the food's temperature, I'll play along anyway and make a big show of blowing on my food to cool it off.  Usually she proceeds to shoot me a 'you're stupid' look before admonishing me, "No, mama.  It's really cold."

- Andrew is a morning person so he is always out of bed well before I am.  One morning I felt his side of the bed move a little.  Even in my sleep-induced stupor, I could tell it wasn't heavy enough to be Andrew so I feared it might be our dog.  I sat up and whirled around to find Finley sitting next to me.  "Fin, do you want to get in bed with Mama?" I asked her.  To which she replied, "Mama, do you want to get up now?"  Doh!

No comments:

Post a Comment