Monday, December 12, 2011

Finley - 29 months

- From one of her favorite books, Clifford's Ice Cream Mess, Finley learned the phrase "another mess". It is now one I hear often. "Uh-oh, Mama, un-udder mess!" Usually I find that Finley has spilled her goldfish or other snack on the floor. While it's a pain to clean up, my heart melts every time I hear her sweet voice reporting that there's "un-udder mess!"

- The morning of Thanksgiving, Andrew and I were running around trying to finish cleaning and cooking before our guests arrived. Stressed, Andrew over-reacted a little when he hurt himself and I referred to him (jokingly, of course) as a drama queen. Finley heard me and proceeded to call Andrew "Daddy Queen" the rest of the day.

- We had International Night for Finley's school last weekend and her class sang "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star". Well, that's what they were supposed to sing. Of the kiddos, about 25% were loudly crying/screaming, 73% just stood there like a deer in headlights - didn't move, and surely didn't sing (Finley was in this group) and about 2% actually sang and did the hand motions. Maybe next year's performance will be a little better!

- Whenever I give Finley a bath, she always tells me "in bath, mama" so I'll put my feet in the tub with her. Sometimes she wants me to splash her and sometimes she likes to put soap and water all over my feet, legs and usually jeans too. Last night she was busy lathering up my legs when she suddenly leaned down, kissed the top of my foot and said, "Love you, Mama. I'm so happy!" Dear Lord, please continue to bless this sweet, sweet child!

- Finley has started to learn the basics of hide-and-go-seek. She loves for us to hide and then come find us. I usually try to jump out and say "boo!" just to make the game more interesting. One time I did that and she shrieked and laughed and followed up with "Scared me, Mama!" After I hide, it's Finley's turn to hide, but she hasn't quite figured it out yet, so she almost always hides wherever I was just hiding. Makes my job of finding her pretty easy!

- We took Fin to the Capitol Holiday Sing Along a week or so ago and she loved it. Right now the only holiday song she knows is Jingle Bells. (Her version goes something like this: "Jingle bells, jingle all the v-v-v-v-v-vay!.....Hey!") After hearing quite a few songs, Fin decided to start singing along. Only we were singing "Oh Holy Night" while Fin was belting out (like seriously loud) "Jingle Bells." Hilarious!

- One night I heard Fin singing a song that I hadn't heard her sing before so I listened carefully and I was amazed that she was singing her good night song. It's a song that I've been singing to her since she was about 10 months old. While I don't sing it every night, I do sing it fairly often, but it wasn't one I ever tried to teach her. She doesn't know all the words, but does sing the longest line perfectly, "I will keep you safe and warm so sleep, sleep, sleep sleepyhead." So sweet!

- We had to go back to the pediatrician's office for him to check her ears to make sure the infection was cleared up. For the trip, Finley wanted to bring along her baby doll and one of her fishing lures that Daddy gave her. Upon seeing Fin with her accoutrement, her doctor remarked that he was impressed with her wide array of interests!

- Fin went a few days in a row where she asked to use the potty (and did!) but then she stopped and wouldn't want to when we'd query about it. So we've dropped it for now. Hopefully she'll want to start using the potty soon, but it isn't something I want to force on her before she's ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment