Monday, December 19, 2011

Conversations with Finley

Me: "Fin, are you ready to go to the grocery store?"
Fin: "No can do, Mama...Rusty-poo go store."
Me: "You want me to leave you here and take Rusty to the store?"
Fin: "Yep."
Me: "No can do, Finley."


While I was folding laundry, Finley popped into the room with her backpack on.
Fin: "Bye Mom!"
Me: "Bye Fin. See you later."
About a minute later she popped back in, pretending to have just arrived home from a long journey.
Fin: "Oh hi, Mom. It's nice to see you."
Me: (Semi-shocked since I'd never heard her say that phrase before,) "Well thanks, Fin."
Fin: (long pause) "It's nice to see me too, Mom."
Oh, snap! I got schooled in manners by my two year old. Nice!


I brought Finley a yogurt smoothie for her snack one afternoon. Unbeknownst to me, there is a cartoon monkey depicted on the side of the smoothie container.
Fin: "Where's monkey?"
Me: "Monkey?" And then I noticed the monkey on the side of the smoothie container and pointed out the monkey to Fin.
Fin: "Oh, there is! Monkey...Daddy!"
Me: "You think the monkey looks like Daddy!"
Fin: "Yeah!" Lots of laughter.
Of course, I had to tell Andrew that Fin thought he looked like a monkey so I called him into the room and told him about our conversation.
Andrew: "Finley, you think I look like a monkey?!?"
Finley: "Oops!", followed by lots of laughter.

One morning Finley packed up her play grocery cart, put her backpack over her shoulders and announced, "See you later, Mama alligator!"

Early in the day we saw an ambulance drive by with it's lights flashing, and Finley called it a police car. I corrected her and told her a very simplified answer of what an ambulance does - people call one when they get hurt. At dinner that night, Finley bit her tongue or cheek while she was eating. Amidst the crying/fussing, I heard her exclaim, "Mama, call the ambulance! Ambulance!!!"






No comments:

Post a Comment